Dreaming of owning a keyboard with a 6mb sample rom library? Thinking of selling your entire studio to get that new sound? Try these simple tips to get bigger synth sounds.
1. Use a double delay instead of reverb. Digital delays are the best. You can try one tight delay (30ms or so) and one long delay (250ms), then pan each to the left or right. This creates a larger sound space.
2. Filter the sample, or analog modeling synth with a Lo-Fi sample rate down-conversion (destructive). Change the bit rate to 12 or 8 bit. This would simulate old sample roms or digital synthesis.
3. Combine a choir (ahh) sample with a short percussive attack sample. Many pad patches have been created this way with various string type sounds or percussive strikes and plucks. Many keyboards based on rom libraries let you create a sound with two “oscillators” in the patch. Again use the tips above on something like this to make it sound bigger. This is the scariest tip.
4. Experiment with sample speeds, transposition zone, and formant. If you have a roland sampler with vari-synth or ableton you may be able to get low-fi type results on modern samples, as if you were to take a smaller section of the rom sample and stretch it to fit the keyboard. Sometimes its better to turn these new pitch correcting/stretching technologies OFF and let the samples run.
5. Use a stereo choir effect or guitar pedal
The old tricks are the best tricks.
Roland FA-06, FA-08 Leaked How to Hack Your PS2 Memory Card And Run Anything Mac OS X Dolphin Speed Guide Audio Tool Rocks: The Online TB-303 & 909 Emulator Top Ten Drum Machines of all time What are the Best iPad Synthesizer Apps? (iOS) Tutorial: Installing Windows On Partitioned Mac Without Bootcamp Using Parallel Compression For Mastering The Roland V-synth Resource Page 5 Electronic Music Production Tips & Techniques Jupiter-80 and Jupiter-50 Patches Roland Dubstep Drums Effects Processing Tutorial. Visual Audio Mastering In Logic Pro Behringer Guitar Review: Metalien Pack Drum Machine Waves 4GB Download (8) Best Plugins For 2013 What Type Of Plugins Do I use to Compress Drums For EDM? Logic Pro X Review – Just OK Top Raspberry Pi Synthesizers Links Hear the MFB Dominion 1 Synth in an Epic, Triumphant Demo Song Korg Kronos Revealed NES Wave Pack Reason Refill V-Synth Patches 6 Instructables For Electronic Music & Synthesizer DIY JX-8p Complete Reason Refill Super Hang On Genesis Chip Tune Mix Quiz Your Synthesizer Vocabulary on Memrise Using Aiwa Q Sound Boombox as an Effects Processor A Sound Comparison Of Synths 2013 (updated)