Dreaming of owning a keyboard with a 6mb sample rom library? Thinking of selling your entire studio to get that new sound? Try these simple tips to get bigger synth sounds.
1. Use a double delay instead of reverb. Digital delays are the best. You can try one tight delay (30ms or so) and one long delay (250ms), then pan each to the left or right. This creates a larger sound space.
2. Filter the sample, or analog modeling synth with a Lo-Fi sample rate down-conversion (destructive). Change the bit rate to 12 or 8 bit. This would simulate old sample roms or digital synthesis.
3. Combine a choir (ahh) sample with a short percussive attack sample. Many pad patches have been created this way with various string type sounds or percussive strikes and plucks. Many keyboards based on rom libraries let you create a sound with two “oscillators” in the patch. Again use the tips above on something like this to make it sound bigger. This is the scariest tip.
4. Experiment with sample speeds, transposition zone, and formant. If you have a roland sampler with vari-synth or ableton you may be able to get low-fi type results on modern samples, as if you were to take a smaller section of the rom sample and stretch it to fit the keyboard. Sometimes its better to turn these new pitch correcting/stretching technologies OFF and let the samples run.
5. Use a stereo choir effect or guitar pedal
The old tricks are the best tricks.
How to Hack Your PS2 Memory Card And Run Anything 3 Radiuses In custom stand. Nice Vid Hack an old Nord Modular to a G2 Blogs: Audio Software Out In The Open Fire The Head of iTunes. iTunes 11 review: The Worst Interface Update In Years. Behringer Guitar Review: Metalien Pack Quiz Your Synthesizer Vocabulary on Memrise Top Ten Drum Machines of all time The Roland V-synth Resource Page What do you think of the Arturia Microbrute? Native Instruments Massive and FM8 released! Audio Tool Rocks: The Online TB-303 & 909 Emulator Jupiter-80 and Jupiter-50 Patches Roland 5 Electronic Music Production Tips & Techniques Roland Integra-7 Mini Review A Sound Comparison Of Synths 2013 (updated) V-Synth Patches (8) Best Plugins For 2013 Logic Pro X Review – Just OK Why I Love Novation Supernova II Rack Pro-X M-Audio Axiom Pro 25 Midi Controller is a Piece of Shit NES Wave Pack Reason Refill Price List and Ordering Info Logic Pro X Has USB Midi Problems Listen to Daft Punk Get Lucky On the Integra-7 What are the Best iPad Synthesizer Apps? (iOS) Using Aiwa Q Sound Boombox as an Effects Processor V-synth Multi-timbral Explained (Play layered sounds like the GT) Mini Scratching. Touchtable by Masc Design