Dreaming of owning a keyboard with a 6mb sample rom library? Thinking of selling your entire studio to get that new sound? Try these simple tips to get bigger synth sounds.
1. Use a double delay instead of reverb. Digital delays are the best. You can try one tight delay (30ms or so) and one long delay (250ms), then pan each to the left or right. This creates a larger sound space.
2. Filter the sample, or analog modeling synth with a Lo-Fi sample rate down-conversion (destructive). Change the bit rate to 12 or 8 bit. This would simulate old sample roms or digital synthesis.
3. Combine a choir (ahh) sample with a short percussive attack sample. Many pad patches have been created this way with various string type sounds or percussive strikes and plucks. Many keyboards based on rom libraries let you create a sound with two “oscillators” in the patch. Again use the tips above on something like this to make it sound bigger. This is the scariest tip.
4. Experiment with sample speeds, transposition zone, and formant. If you have a roland sampler with vari-synth or ableton you may be able to get low-fi type results on modern samples, as if you were to take a smaller section of the rom sample and stretch it to fit the keyboard. Sometimes its better to turn these new pitch correcting/stretching technologies OFF and let the samples run.
5. Use a stereo choir effect or guitar pedal
The old tricks are the best tricks.
How to Hack Your PS2 Memory Card And Run Anything Mac OS X Dolphin Speed Guide Roland FA-06, FA-08 Leaked Native Instruments Massive and FM8 released! Audio Tool Rocks: The Online TB-303 & 909 Emulator Hack an old Nord Modular to a G2 Namm 2014, Korg MS-20 Full Size kit ($1400) Behringer Guitar Review: Metalien Pack What a pile of junk Roland Aira Is Drum Machine Waves 4GB Download Korg Gadget iPad DAW Looks Super Fun 5 Electronic Music Production Tips & Techniques What are the Best iPad Synthesizer Apps? (iOS) What do you think of the Arturia Microbrute? Jupiter-80 and Jupiter-50 Patches Roland Tutorial: Installing Windows On Partitioned Mac Without Bootcamp How to Make Your Speakers Dead The Roland V-synth Resource Page Moog Sub 37 Video for Namm 2014 Top Ten Drum Machines of all time Top Raspberry Pi Synthesizers Links Fire The Head of iTunes. iTunes 11 review: The Worst Interface Update In Years. Triton Taktile USB Controller-Synth & Korg Keytar! JX-8p Complete Reason Refill NES Wave Pack Reason Refill What is The Fastest Mac Per Dollar For Audio? Roland Aira Photos & Video Logic Pro X Review – Just OK Nord Lead A1