Dreaming of owning a keyboard with a 6mb sample rom library? Thinking of selling your entire studio to get that new sound? Try these simple tips to get bigger synth sounds.
1. Use a double delay instead of reverb. Digital delays are the best. You can try one tight delay (30ms or so) and one long delay (250ms), then pan each to the left or right. This creates a larger sound space.
2. Filter the sample, or analog modeling synth with a Lo-Fi sample rate down-conversion (destructive). Change the bit rate to 12 or 8 bit. This would simulate old sample roms or digital synthesis.
3. Combine a choir (ahh) sample with a short percussive attack sample. Many pad patches have been created this way with various string type sounds or percussive strikes and plucks. Many keyboards based on rom libraries let you create a sound with two “oscillators” in the patch. Again use the tips above on something like this to make it sound bigger. This is the scariest tip.
4. Experiment with sample speeds, transposition zone, and formant. If you have a roland sampler with vari-synth or ableton you may be able to get low-fi type results on modern samples, as if you were to take a smaller section of the rom sample and stretch it to fit the keyboard. Sometimes its better to turn these new pitch correcting/stretching technologies OFF and let the samples run.
5. Use a stereo choir effect or guitar pedal
The old tricks are the best tricks.
Roland FA-06, FA-08 Leaked Audio Tool Rocks: The Online TB-303 & 909 Emulator Behringer Guitar Review: Metalien Pack How to Hack Your PS2 Memory Card And Run Anything Mac OS X Dolphin Speed Guide Top Ten Drum Machines of all time The Roland V-synth Resource Page Tutorial: Installing Windows On Partitioned Mac Without Bootcamp What are the Best iPad Synthesizer Apps? (iOS) Visual Audio Mastering In Logic Pro Using Parallel Compression For Mastering 5 Electronic Music Production Tips & Techniques Jupiter-80 and Jupiter-50 Patches Roland 6 Instructables For Electronic Music & Synthesizer DIY Downloadable Frequency Chart (PDF) A Sound Comparison Of Synths 2013 (updated) Logic Pro X Review – Just OK What Type Of Plugins Do I use to Compress Drums For EDM? Drum Machine Waves 4GB Download Top Raspberry Pi Synthesizers Links NES Wave Pack Reason Refill Fire The Head of iTunes. iTunes 11 review: The Worst Interface Update In Years. 20 of My Favorite Console Video Games of All Time Dubstep Drums Effects Processing Tutorial. Using Aiwa Q Sound Boombox as an Effects Processor Hear the MFB Dominion 1 Synth in an Epic, Triumphant Demo Song Multiband Limiting To A Loudness Curve & NS10s Quiz Your Synthesizer Vocabulary on Memrise V-Synth Patches